January 01, 2017

Beauty | Top 10 Beauty Products of 2016

So 2016 was meant to be the year I stopped being a zombie like shopper. For the first four months I managed to not make a single purchase but after that first purchase, I found myself slowly slipping to old habits again. Despite the fact that most makeup releases this year haven't interested me, I found myself buying more as the year progressed anyway. Out of everything I bought, there were only a few items that really stood out to me. So here are my top 10 products of the year, most of which weren't even released in 2016.

1. NYX Vivid Bright Eyeliners


I don't know what it is about colourful liquid eyeliners, but the quality almost never matches those of black/brown ones. While the NYX vivid bright eyeliners aren't an exception, I find they perform as well, if not better than some of the midrange ones I've tried, and at a fraction of the price. The vivid eyeliners rainbow of colours, make for an easy pop of colour to the eyes and are great for Halloween/fancy dress makeup. My personal favourites are the red (fire) and purple (violet).

2. Sugarpill Trinket Liquid Lipstick


My love for Sugarpill has been reignited this year. They've finally expanded into lip products. Every makeup brand have expanded their line to include liquid lipsticks, Sugarpill's are truly unique. When you first apply they seem like a generic almost matte liquid lipstick but when you rub your lips, micro glitters appear from nowhere, like magic! While I have all three shades that Sugarpill do, Trinket is easily a favourite as it's an everyday colour with subtle sparkle.

3 & 4. Kat Von D Lock It Concealer & Powder


Despite having pigmentation scars from bad acne of my teenage years, 2016 is the year that I finally understood how to use concealer without it just disappearing within the hour. I use the two by first dabbing on the concealer directly over the scars and immediately setting it with Kat Von D's transparent lock it powder. The two are definite staples that I will be repurchasing when they're finished.

5. MAC Mehr Lipstick


With bright hair, I find myself stepping away from crazy lip colours that I used to enjoy experimenting with my natural hair. As my MAC pro discount finally expired (which I barely used), I thought I'd pick up a few everyday lip colours. The standout shade was Mehr, which is described as a dirty blue pink. The nude pink lip has made for a refreshing change to the 50 shades of nude beige lip colours that I seem to have accumulated over the years.

6 & 7 Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipsticks in Gothica and Thin Lizzy


I'm unsure why the studded kiss metallic finish lipsticks aren't talked about more. These are like the Sugarpill liquid lipsticks in generic lipstick form, with glitter but minus the 'surprise' part. The best part? They're reasonably long lasting too. Gothica is a sparkling bronze and Thin Lizzy is a sparkling brick copper, they are both very complimentary to warm toned skin. 

8. MAC Star Trek Highly Illogical Trip The Light Fantastic Powder


The light fantastic powders from MAC's Star Trek collection are advertised as highlighters. Highly Illogical was the darkest of the three in the collection, designed for people with a skin tone far darker than myself but it was the only one that seemed to show on my skin at all. So I went with this and find myself using this as an everyday bronzer instead.

9. Illamasqua Beyond Powders


I tried my hand at highlighting earlier this year but found that the only thing being highlighted were my large pores. So eventually, I thought I'd try a different brand of highlighter instead. So I looked to one of the brands that began my makeup addiction, Illamasqua. While I haven't mastered highlighting yet, these beyond powders managed to not accentuate my pores.

10. Arctic Fox Hair Dye


Since taking my hair colour higher, I've looked into more cost effective dyes. While my experience with Manic Panic was great, the fact that they washed out very quickly and were at least £13 per 4 oz made me search for alternatives. After reading some reviews on Arctic Fox and discovering they sold their dyes in 8oz bottles, I thought I'd give them a try. So far I've tried Aquamarine and Purple Rain. With both of them, I found the colours to be extremely vivid, almost neon shades of turquoise and purple. They both last a lot longer than my Manic Panic dyes did too.

I think the fact that I've bought so much makeup this year but can't even chose 10 makeup items this year is pretty telling of how much money has gone to waste. Look out for next week's post, biggest makeup regrets of 2016.

1 comment:

  1. Aww I love so many of the products you mentioned on this post! I really want to give the Sugarpill liquid lipsticks a go as they look and sound amazing! The Kim Chi colour is the one I'm after at the moment.

    I also LOVE Kat Von D and I cannot wait to get my hands on more of the liquid lipsticks.

    https://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete